SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#406447 - 08/05/15 02:51 PM How do you "Represent"?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Anyone who has worked out has seen it...other musicians who give us as a group a bad name.

In the past, this was particularly true in the jazz community...much drug use...trouble with the law....financial troubles...abuse. Not a pretty thing.

How important is it to you to be recognized as a member of the musician community?

What do you do to put a good face on your activities and the work/activities of other musicians?

Russ

#407266 - 08/23/15 02:14 AM Re: How do you "Represent"? [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I really play music primarily for myself and really hope the audience also enjoy it with me. I sure do appreciate musicians in the community because they are inspiring and integral to creating a musical experience. I guess because they keep playing with me they must appreciate me too. But I really never think about status in the musical community. It is all about the music. I don't need to put any sort of face on my activities, I am just what I am and I believe that is a good reflection of a musician.

I think lot of that darker history of musicians owes a lot to those windows of time in history. Going back then there were severe civil rights issues that were instrumental in some brilliant black musicians going off the rails. Plus we are talking about the great depression followed by World War II. So many pressures on a musician from a poor background who finally gets recognized and gets a boost in income. It really was a very different time. Well I sure hope it is anyway.

Plus there were cases back then that attracted extreme media attention that wouldn't raise an eyebrow nowadays like Gene Krupa smoking a joint but that was considered scandalous back then.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online